Seaboard Agro Industrial Company donated an undisclosed sum to Doobay’s Medical Centre, at Courbane Park, Annandale, East Coast Demerara. Doobay’s Medical Centre is a registered non-profit organization which opened its doors on Sept. 15, 2011.
Mr. Bert Sukhai, Managing Director of National Milling Company (NAMILCO), presented the check to Mr. Vickram Oditt, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Centre.
“I am pleased to make the presentation on behalf of Seaboard,” said Sukhai. “We have seen strides made in a short time, bringing relief to kidney patients. We look forward to seeing progress in cardiovascular surgery.”
Doobay’s mission is to provide affordable treatment and quality care by trained professionals, inclusive of a doctor, five nurses and a technician. Oditt said that, with their continued evolution to better serve Guyana, rates have been dropped for the dialysis sessions, from $15,000 to $9,000 per session.
Some expansions to the Centre being considered by the board of directors include:
- a cardiovascular clinic targeting hypertension; diabetes, obesity and high cholesterol;
- an angiosuite offering angiography and insertion of stents as needed;
- a cardio rehabilitation centre;
- expanded dialysis services;
- twin surgical suites;
- a six-bed intensive care unit with recovery suites;
- state-of-the-art laboratory services;
- x-ray and ultrasound services;
- dietician services;
- dental clinic, ophthalmology and optometry clinic;
- a pharmacy;
- ambulance services and
- a professional school of nursing and medicine
A timetable for these developments has not yet been decided upon but, with its mission to play a vital part in betterment of Guyanese health, the board of directors is working to make the expansion of the facility a reality.